15877Narnia again

  • Stolzi
    Nov 27, 2005
      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2005/11/06/the_way_we_were/?page=full

      may ask for registration; here's the relevant para

      Reviewing the "lavish new Norton anthology of children's literature":

      ' There is, first of all and most balefully, literature written by adults to
      instruct children-that is, to educate or lead them out of childhood (the
      root meaning of educate is "to lead out"). But unless the pill is
      well-sugared, as in, for example, C.S. Lewis's "Chronicles of Narnia"
      series, no one-neither adults nor children-wants to read literature that has
      this kind of design on its readers. Lewis himself (who is not in the
      anthology) is a perfect example of a writer whom adults enjoy less than
      children do-because we see more of what he is up to, and often don't like
      it. Lewis, one senses, wants to make children feel guilty and depraved, to
      see themselves as wicked-for example, in "The Lion, the Witch, and the
      Wardrobe," where children are supposed to recognize Edmund's selfishness and
      greed in themselves. But fortunately they don't, and we can take pleasure in
      their insouciant obliviousness to this moralizing. '

      Diamond Proudbrook