15708Re: [mythsoc] George Sayer, RIP/Havard, etc.

  • Bonnie Callahan
    Nov 4, 2005
      To John R., Stolzi (Diamond) and all:

      Just a moment to express my sadness & compassion for all the folk involved in that situation so long ago; the
      finitude of humanity. The Lewis health fiasco reminds me of what happened to Bernie. I found out he wasn't
      provided with his bipolar disorder meds when he was admitted for emergency abdominal surgery. The sitch
      started a downward cascade of repeated surgeries accomp. by poor oversight (?) led to him not eating &
      being properly hydrated. Then pneumonia kicked in, and it was over.

      Thought about Tolkien. According to what I recall, he suffered bleeding ulcers that led to his death. Now that
      a Nobel has been awarded to the guys who discovered Helicobacter Pylori, I sorrow over the medical knowhow that
      might have extended Tolkien's life if we had had access to it back then!

      The biographical info about our beloved authors teaches us so much about the fragility of life, even in these
      so-called (post)modern times. In this Month of the Days of the Dead, let's honor their lives, and celebrate our
      still being here to love them. This too is all part of our Mythopoeic sensibility.

      Love to all of you,
      Bonnie