15697Re: [mythsoc] George Sayer, RIP

  • Mike Foster
    Oct 30, 2005
      This is a sharp if not unexpected blow.

      I met George Sayer first at Wheaton in '77 or so, very briefly. I got
      to know him better at the 1992 Centenary during a pleasant afternoon at
      the Keble College bar followed by an even more pleasant dinner at the
      dining hall there.

      In 1994, while I was researching Chesterton's influence on JRRT, I
      sought a telephone interview with him while visiting Ocford. Instead,
      this "most generous of men," in CSL's phrase, invited me and Jo out for
      lunch at his home in Malvern, a wonderful meal with lively talk before,
      during, and after with him and his wife Margaret. In 1996, the
      invitation was repeated and another memorable lunch ensued.

      I knew he had been in failing health for some years. Nonetheless, sad news.

      The Society should eulogize him properly. Count me in, if you wish, as
      a contributor.

      Mike

      Stolzi wrote:

      > Inspirational teacher, author and friend to writers
      >http://www.thisisworcestershire.co.uk/worcestershire/malvern/news/MALVERN_NEWS_LATEST3.html
      >
      > "GEORGE Sayer, inspirational teacher, scholar and friend to great writers,
      >has died, aged 91.
      >"Mr Sayer was the head of English at Malvern College for many years.
      >
      >"He enjoyed close friendships with J R R Tolkein, author of Lord of the
      >Rings, and C S Lewis, who wrote the Chronicles of Narnia series, two of the
      >best-loved names in 20th Century English literature. "
      >
      >Ouch on the "Tolkein" spelling.
      >
      >Diamond Proudbrook

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic