15654Re: Harry VI

  • Pauline J. Alama
    Oct 13, 2005
      I wouldn't say Rowling's folklore was "off" (by which I suppose you
      mean "inaccurate"), but that she has decided to do different things
      with the folklore.

      As Pete Seeger said of folk music, that's what makes it folk --
      everyone sings it in their own way.

      Pauline J. Alama
      THE EYE OF NIGHT

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Lezlie" <lezlie1@z...> wrote:

      > Hi all- (a bit of a ramble...)
      > I like Rowling OK-- don't get me wrong. I just wish she'd stop
      saying
      > dumb things about *Witches* . As a teacher & parent, the endless
      > conversations about "pretend witches" gets a bit wearing after a
      > while... it isn't as if there isn't piles of readily available
      > information these days. In 2005, there is little excuse to "not
      know"
      > any longer. Yeah-- the truth is very boring and fiction is ever so
      > much more *fun* ...<sniff>... and all of *that*. (I am a *fantasy*
      fan
      > after all.)
      > Some of her folklore is a bit off, too...especially involving
      elfish
      > critters. Of course, her knowledge of the occult in general is
      compete
      > claptrap, but it's fine for fiction, I suppose. Her world-building
      > skill is improving, however. Well, I could say all of that about a
      > *lot* of writers about a *lot* of things.
      > Rowling tells a good tale. Mostly. But, I haven't gone out and read
      > the last. I've been reading other people I like a lot better.
      Personal
> [...]
      he
      > has done his research – no question—.
      > On the other hand, Rowling is incredibly successful; I have to hand
      > her that. And, the kids love her. Mostly harmless (as the cliche
      has
      > become) I guess. Lezlie
      >

      > --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Mike Foster <mafoster@d...> wrote:
      > > I second Ms. Monk's motion.
      > >
      > > Rowling has a nominative (name-giving) gift that exceeds Lewis'
      and
      > > perhaps is second only to Tolkien.
      > >
      > > Rank rash dismissal of her reminds me of remark made to me by a
      retired
      > > ICC earth science prof at an ol' bleeps' breakfast last week:
      > > "When you started teaching that Tolkien class [in 1978], there
      were a
      > > lot of people who were skeptical."
      > >
      > > Yeah, well, coprolites to you, chum. Tolkien is literature of
      the
      > > finest. Rowling may be nowhere near that level, but she should
      not be
      > > sneered away to the toy department, Wendell.
      > >
      > > As Pogo the possum used to say:
      > > "Rowrbazzle!"
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Mike
      > >
      > > Walkermonk@a... wrote:
      > >
      > > >In a message dated 7/22/2005 9:48:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > > >WendellWag@a... writes:
      > > >The Harry Potter
      > > >books are still a teenage-angst series with magic names
      slapped on
      > > >everything.
      > > >This is incorrect. The stories are about the struggle between
      good
      > and evil,
      > > >and how difficult it is to sometimes recognize good and the
      sacrifices
      > > >required for doing what is right. The ratio of magic names is
      quite
      > low compared to
      > > >just regular names. And teenage angst? When did angst become the
      > sole province
      > > >of teenagers and why is there contempt for teenage feelings? The
      > situations
      > > >being confronted by the teenagers in the HP books aren't for the
      > faint of heart
      > > >or the immature of character. Do the teenagers handle the
      situations
      > > >differently than the adults portrayed? Yes. The teens aren't
      always
      > correct either. But
      > > >they matter, and I don't see anything wrong in that. The HP
      books
      > aren't my
      > > >favorite and I think they have some flaws. But Wendell's
      > contemptuous one-line
      > > >dismissal is far below what the books deserve.
      > > >

      > > >Incidentally, I read a news story about Rowling recently in
      which
      > she said
      > > >that she never read (or, more precisely, she never finished)
      either
      > _The Lord
      > > >of the Rings_ or _The Chronicles of Narnia_.
      > > >Well, according to this particular article (which immediately
      loses
      > points
      > > >with me by mentioning Rowling's haircolor), Rowling must have at
      > least read "The
      > > >Last Battle." So if she hasn't finished Narnia, then I wonder
      which
      > one(s)
      > > >she left out. This is at odds, btw, with many other interviews
      and
      > other
      > > >statements about Lewis.
      > > >
      > > >Grace Monk