15321Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

  • Lezlie
    Aug 2, 2005
      Wendell,

      Well- I have no answer -- except to say that this isn't the only group
      of writer/reader/fantasists I engage in conversation with. I also hear
      many of the same things said about other extremely successful
      novelists. ("IF you like cotten-candy..." "Little substance..."
      "Derivative...") Pardon me if I've become suspicious...

      1. Rowling shows every sign of having several more "sequels" ahead
      following the Harry-and-friends-coming-of-age theme. The real question
      is, will she follow him into adulthood? (Well-- it is a series meant
      for the nine-year-old crowd.) (Critique from one regarding the
      current offering: "Too much mushy-stuff".) (And, there you have it.)

      2. They do remind me of Robert Jordan, a couple of "fillers" in
      between the action. Robert Jordan ... now there's an author who
      produces a really plotless novel to further his series.
      Unfortunately, I, too, got sucked into them and wish he'd write the
      next one. Or, maybe end the series (now *that's* a thought...) and my
      suffering.

      3. Youth books are interesting, but I don't think they should be
      compared to adult novels. For a whole bunch of reasons that there is
      too little time & space to go into here.

      4. Only time will tell if "Harry" takes his place -- or not-- beside
      the classics of youth fantasies. (Barrie, Baum, Beagle, Lewis...)

      5. I see Rowling's success as "Hey, one of *us* made good!" (Writer,
      fantasy writer, woman writer, youth writer...take your pick.) In the
      lingo of my generation: groovy. Right on. And, that of the double 00
      generation: You go, girl!

      6. I found them a "fast read", and, with their modern-day settings,
      like Charles de Lint, not really my cup of tea (pun intended). This is
      not a critique of either writer's ability, just my own reaction.

      I appreciate Harry Potter, it has the remarkable effect of completely
      engaging a crew of street-wise inner city
      I'd-rather-be-doing-*anything*-else-but-read third graders. I gave
      copies to all of my literacy workers in the program(s) I developed
      because -- golly! The kids are reading and enjoying it! Who knows what
      revolutionary thing could come of that??? KUDOS to Rowling, I say, and
      let's have the next ten!! (BTW: the kids in my program seemed to go on
      to "A Series of Unfortunate Events" from Rowling. Just thought you
      like to know.)

      Lezlie

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@a... wrote:
      > In an email dated 1/8/2005 5:56:24 pm GMT Daylight time, "Lezlie"
      <lezlie1@z...> writes:

      > > I think the
      > > real issue here is that it's so very popular, and the author is making
      > > bundle off it. I think I have witnessed more than a few "Green-eyed
      > > Dragons" amongst writers of fantasy—eh? Maybe we should all just get
      > > over it and write our own stories. To each generation its own.
      >
      > Oh, please, no one here has made an argument anything like that. I know
      > perfectly well that I'm not even going to write a good fantasy
      novel, let
      > alone a great one. I don't begrudge Rowling the money she has made
      in the
      > least. My only argument is that the Harry Potter books aren't as
      good as
      > they're claimed to be. I'm not saying that they're bad books. They're
      > passibly good books with some significant flaws in my opinion. They're
      > just not in my list of the top ten children's fantasy series of all
      times.

      > The fact that I'm not a writer doesn't prevent me from critizing the
      > books. I'm tired of hearing certain other arguments about why I
      > absolutely have to like the books. The fact that the books have got a
      > lot of children to read books (if that's really true) doesn't mean that
      > I'm stopping them from reading the books if I say that I'm not greatly
      > impressed by them. I feel at times like I'm confronted by a religious
      > cult if I criticize the books.
      >
      > Wendell Wagner
    • Show all 71 messages in this topic