15303Re: Fan fiction

  • Lezlie
    Aug 1, 2005
      > At 01:52 AM 7/20/2005 +0000, Lezlie wrote:
      because they're major sources in Old Norse, a
      > language he taught, and because he used them as sources (they're
      where the
      > dwarf-names came from).

      Of course, I had momentarily forgotten... ! :)

      > >I also disagree that "all fiction is fan fiction". There is a deeper,
      > >more complex conversation going in between authors, readers and later
      > >generation writers than what seems to be the norm in "fan-fic."
      >
      > Totally apart from questions of quality and subtlety,

      Ahhh... Although those are precisly the qualities we seek in reading
      and in crafting our fiction. Whether a piece has literary quality or
      not, BTW, was beside my point.

      there is also a
      > difference between crafting a work in response to an earlier work
      and being
      > inspired by it, and actually borrowing its concrete setting or
      retelling it
      > openly. This is a difference in kind, not necessarily a difference in
      > literary value.

      Also beside my point. What I was talking about is something different--

      BTW: Have you read Stallybrass & White on this subject? Very
      interesting stuff and a killer title: "The Politics and Poetics of
      Transgression" - Lezlie
    • Show all 46 messages in this topic