15294Re: [mythsoc] Re: O.W.L.'s in Harry Potter

    Jul 29, 2005
      At 10:19 AM 7/29/2005 -0400, B.I. Davis wrote:

      > An Angela Brazil story with wands? Superficially it is a school with
      >magic stuck on. But then, one could say, the Shire is really just
      >an English suburb with short people in it, Bilbo's adventure is a map with
      >a dragon in it, and the Elves of Gondolin are Crusaders with much cooler
      >jewelry.

      No, there's a difference, which is that these comparisons are absurdly
      reductionist for Tolkien, but not for the first Rowling book, which
      accurately fits that description. (Yes, it has a moral element, but so do
      most school stories.) It's not a criticism of the book to say this:
      dumping magic unexpectedly into an otherwise ordinary situation has
      produced some of the best light fantasies, and the first HP book fully
      qualifies.

      >> turning on careful Talmudic distinctions between what Voldemort did
      >> two years ago and what he did five years ago, so if the reader doesn't
      >> remember the difference between what happened in _Harry Potter and the
      >> Goblet of Secrets_ and what happened in _Harry Potter and the Fire of
      >> Ashbacan_, Rowling will be sure to remind you;
      >
      >Is there an ox-goring I missed somewhere here? Though I take your point ...

      The point is that the books are so repetitious that I quickly ceased being
      able to remember the tiny differences among each.

      >Book 2 still have some "bounce" in it. But she couldn't really bounce Harry
      >along for all seven books, could she?

      No, she couldn't. Which is why she should have stopped.

      David Bratman
    • Show all 71 messages in this topic