15277HP6-a different view

  • saraciborski
    Jul 25, 2005
      > It was amusing enough for one book, the theme of which was the
      astonishment
      > value of going to what's otherwise a perfectly ordinary English
      Public
      > School except that it has magic. But the further on the series
      progresses
      > the more I wish Rowling had stopped there. I've sludged through
      about a
      > quarter of book 6's turgid, overweight prose, full of detailed
      picayune
      > conversations, in which Harry yells crossly at his professors and
      everybody
      > else, turning on careful Talmudic distinctions between what
      Voldemort did
      > two years ago and what he did five years ago,
      ....and then I went back to the
      > first book. Was it really as bright, fresh, and bouncy as I
      remember? It
      > is. What a shame, what a bloody shame.

      Well, I will venture an opinion contrary to David's scathing one (and
      to the negative views expressed in a couple of other posts). I love
      all the Harry Potter books and I think the 6th, though not the best
      of the lot, is a great read. They are not literary masterpieces and
      the themes are at times muddled. But they are wonderfully engaging
      portrayals of some delightful characters, both children and adults.
      What draws me into Rowling's world and holds me there through
      occasional lapses in the writing is Harry himself: what counts in the
      story, what decides the outcome is not the magic tricks he does but
      his mix of courage, determination, longing (for his parents),
      ingenuity, loyalty, recklessness, fun-lovingness and other qualities
      that develop as he grows up. I would have missed getting to know him,
      had Rowling stopped with the bright, fresh and bouncy first book.

      Sara Ciborski
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic