15272Re: [mythsoc] O.W.L.s in Harry Potter (No Spoilers!)

  • Kevin Bowring
    Jul 22, 2005
      | On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:30:25 -0700
      | David Bratman <dbratman@...> wrote:
      | I've sludged through about a
      | quarter of book 6's turgid, overweight prose, full of detailed picayune
      | conversations, in which Harry yells crossly at his professors and everybody
      | else, turning on careful Talmudic distinctions between what Voldemort did
      | two years ago and what he did five years ago, so if the reader doesn't
      | remember the difference between what happened in _Harry Potter and the
      | Goblet of Secrets_ and what happened in _Harry Potter and the Fire of
      | Ashbacan_, Rowling will be sure to remind you; and then I went back to the
      | first book. Was it really as bright, fresh, and bouncy as I remember? It
      | is. What a shame, what a bloody shame.

      David,
      I didn't want to have to say it, but I have to agree--and I have trudged through the whole thing. (I don't know whether what I say further counts as spoilers or not. I have tried to speak generally, but perhaps caution is in order.) I would only add that my sense of Books V and VI is that JKR's imagination seems to have flagged considerably, that the books really lack a solid mythological-metaphysical underpinning such as what gives LOR such richness and towards which the early books seemed to hint. One can't blame her for not being Tolkien, but I really hoped that as the books progressed they would grow in depth and richness instead of, as apprears to me, the reverse. Also, there are what I consider some serious moral lapses of vision as well: Harry commits at least one very serious act of what seems a very dark magic but with no consequences; also, if I am not mistaken, Dumbledore seems to endorse revenge as a legitimate motive--this came as a real shock to me!!! Finally, characters and relations go underdeveloped, and I say this of the budding of adolescent love-interest as well (this thoroughly bored me--it was too much like contemporary television and movie ideas of "love"). Unlike the way I felt at the end of books I-IV, where my interest increased with each book and I couldn't wait for the next , , , , well, let's just leave it at that.
      'Nuff grousing.
      Kevin
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic