15200Re: [mythsoc] 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • Mike Foster
    Jul 2, 2005
      If a short Tolkien work is to be used, perhaps Farmer Giles of Ham wd.
      be a better choice for young readers.

      Rich with memorable characters, including a dog and a dragon, it is also
      a microcosmic version of the classic fairy tale quest, with The Monster
      Defeated, Rags to Riches etc. in general and Tolkien's hobbit works in
      particular. John Rateliff's idea of Tolkien's "autoplagiarism" is
      certainly illustrated here.

      It's a good starting point for Tolkien's fiction--so I've used it in my
      college class--and young readers who like this will probably ready to
      move on to the adventures of Bilbo.and Frodo. Shd. be great fun to read
      bits aloud--the first encounter with Chrysophylax, the second as well,
      Giles and the King at the bridge &c. And they'll learn a bit of Lating, too.

      Smith, on the other hand, is not as cheery with its "presage of
      bereavement." More adult, it's also rather less pleasant, with the
      nasty fate of Nokes souring the ending.

      Have fun with it & the students will, too.

      Cheers,
      Mike