15199Re: [mythsoc] 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • juliet@firinn.org
    Jul 2, 2005
      On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 01:42:26PM -0700, lezlie1@... wrote:
      > Lloyd Alexander is definately on the list. Although, I want to stick with
      > shorts, it's only a three week class.

      We have a volume of short stories by Lloyd Alexander entitled _The Foundling_.
      I'm not sure it's his best work, but it's certainly not bad.

      George MacDonald has some short stories that might be appropriate. The older
      language might be a little tougher for some kids, but it'd be good for them,
      too ;) I recommend _The Light Princess_, which has been printed alone with
      illustrations by Maurice Sendak, and there's also a Puffin volume of about a
      dozen of his fairy tales.

      Patricia McKillip has a novella called _The Throme of the Errill of Sherrill_
      which was published with a short story called _The Harrowing of the Dragon
      of Hoarsbreath_, and I've read them to my kids with pretty good effect. She
      also has a novella _The Changeling Sea_ which would be appropriate for kids.

      Tolkien's _Smith of Wootton Major_ would be a good choice, I think, if _The
      Hobbit_ is too long. And you should have them read at least an excerpt from
      the Narnia books.

      Those are the things I can think of off the top of my head. I'd also look at
      http://www.mythsoc.org/MFAnoms.html which is the list of past Mythopoeic
      Fantasy Awards and nominations. Patricia Wrede and Jane Yolen are two authors
      from that list that I'd recommend.

      I'd love to hear what you come up with for a syllabus.

      Julie
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic