15186RE: [mythsoc] 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?

  • Hugh Davis
    Jul 1, 2005
      I just finished a week of teaching writing to 7th & 8th graders (also not my
      cup of tea, but I was asked when someone else backed out)--we wrote and
      re-wrote some fairy tales, and the girls were very imaginative in their
      work.

      What about reading some Lloyd Alexander? I loved the Prydain books when I
      was a 4th grader.

      Hugh

      >From: lezlie1@...
      >To: Folklorest list <folklorest@yahoogroups.com>,"mythsoc@yahoogroups.com"
      ><mythsoc@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [mythsoc] 4, 5 & 6 graders...suggestions for short stories?
      >Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 08:32:22 -0700
      >
      >Hello all,
      >I'm doing a little teaching at UC Berkeley's "Summer Camp for Gifted
      >Children" this July. (A teacher fell while out salsa dancing and broke her
      >ankle-- she may have just strained the Achilles tendon, the X-rays aren't
      >clear. So, would I like the job? I don't normally teach youngsters, but...
      >sure...)
      >
      >Three classes for three weeks staring Monday. I'll be teaching writing to
      >middle schoolers, speech to 4 & 5 graders (that should be fun), and --
      >FANTASY FICTION!! to 4, 5 & 6 graders -- any suggestions for short stories?
      >
      >Thanks loads! Lezlie
      >
      >--
      >
      >"...it concerns three men who are about to be executed. The prison governor
      >calls them to his office, and explains that each will be granted a last
      >request. The first one confesses that he has led a sinful life, and would
      >like to see a priest. The governor says he thinks he can arrange that. And
      >the second man? The second man explains that he is a professor of
      >cybernetics. His last request is to deliver a final and definitive answer
      >the question: what is cybernetics? The governor accedes to this request
      >also. And the third man? Well, he is a doctoral student of the professor --
      >his request is to be executed second."Joke Related by Stafford Beer
      >October 2001
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic