15105LWW question

  • Hugh Davis
    Jun 25, 2005
      I have a query about a point in LWW. In re-reading the novel, I am curious
      why Edmund isn't told of the sacrifice Aslan makes in his place. I know the
      argument Susan offers ("wouldn't you feel awful if you were in his place?"),
      and I think when I first read this and was much younger I just accepted
      that. But why shouldn't Edmund be told? I know Aslan says when the siblings
      are first reunited that there need not be any talk about that which has
      already passed, and I can see this being carried out in the same manner, but
      I am left with the question of why.

      In his _Companion to Narnia_, Paul Ford suggests that Lucy does tell Edmund
      at some point, given how Edmund acts as he grows older, but we have no proof
      either way.

      Can anyone answer why Lewis leaves this unclear?

      Thanks,
      Hugh Davis
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic