      From: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com [mailto:mythsoc@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      WendellWag@...
      Sent: 2005¦~6¤ë11¤é 8:35 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Need help remembering a title SF

      In a message dated 6/11/2005 4:18:04 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      My guess (since I haven't read them myself) is: The Ballad of Beta-2/Empire
      Star, by Samuel R. Delany.

      The blurb for _The Ballad of Beta-2_ says ". . . Joneny, a student of
      galactic anthropology, is given the assignment of finding the meaning behind
      the
      ballad of a starship lost centuries before." The blurb for _Empire Star_
      says
      ". . . Comet Jo, the cat-bodied star-wanderer . . . meets, in his travels:
      the Lump, a half-alien, half-machine; Ni Ty Lee, the suicidal poet of the
      stars;
      the strange multiple consciousness called Jewel . . ." Does any of that
      sound familiar? I haven't read it either. My copy (from 1965) isn't in
      the
      one-story-going-one-direction-one-story-another-direction-when-flipped-over
      format. It's just one story after the other in a single paperback.