15054Belloc and Tolkien (was Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien on Film: critique (long))

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    May 27, 2005
      On May 27, 2005, at 5:43 PM, Croft, Janet B. wrote:

      > Anyway, I don't think Smyth was totally off in seeing something of
      > an ambivalent nostalgia for "empire" in Tolkien's work, though in
      > his letters he seemed to feel the ideal government to live under
      > would be that of the Shire

      I'll throw out that what little I've learned of Hillaire Belloc's
      ideas on a sort of Catholic Neo-Feudalism leads me to suspect it
      might be a very fruitful place to look for parallels with Tolkien's
      own Monarchist thoughts. I do know that Tolkien was an admirer of
      Belloc, as, for example, he enthusiastically presented his son
      Michael with copies of a number of Belloc's works.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic