14590Re: The people for the myth ?

  • jt_heyman
    Apr 11 12:02 PM
      David Bratman wrote:
      > There are a few casual references here and there
      > in old literature to English myths, which are
      > probably analogues of German and Norse myths,
      > but we don't know for sure, and we don't know
      > what distinctive features they had.
      >
      > Tolkien felt this loss keenly, and dropped
      > references to these myths into the Book of Lost
      > Tales. That's why he gave it that title: he was
      > trying to recover lost myths of the English.
      > (Well, sort of.)

      In a way, that makes me feel sad ... as if an orphan is making up
      stories about what his parents were really like. No imagined tale
      can ever really be as satisfying as discovering the truth, but
      perhaps it gives a small sense of comfort.

      Perhaps it is that aspect of "Lord of the Rings" that touched so many
      people in America in the 60's: they were isolated from their American
      culture and, due to the cultural losses of becoming American, they
      had no pre-American culture to which they could retreat. "Lord of
      the Rings" gave them a replacement myth around which they could
      gather. (Frodo lives, indeed.) Not what Tolkien intended, perhaps,
      but since his own desire for a replacement myth was one of the seeds
      of the trilogy, I can see how it might have happened.

      (Now, my non-scholarly opinion can be constructively criticized by
      those more learned list members ... I'm curious to see if my view has
      any merits.)
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic