      From: alexeik@...
      Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 15:45:38 EST
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien & Lewis on Women

      >On the other hand, you have the relationship between Cor (Shasta) and
      >Aravis in _The Horse and His Boy_: "Aravis also had many quarrels (and,
      I'm >afraid, even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up gain: so
      that >years later, when they were grown up they were so used to quarrelling
      and >making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more
      >convenienty." -- which suggests a more realistic and maturer view of
      >marriage than a rigidly hierarchical one where "submission" is the woman's
      >only acceptable role.

      Alexei's point extends to older people than Aravis and Cor; I think CSL
      (in THS) had Ransom tell Grace Ironwood and McPhee that if they didn't stop
      quarreling, he'd order them to marry! Being Pendragon, he must have had
      the authority. Doesn't Lewis say that in marriage, the roles are always
      changing, one submitting at one point, the other at other times? I think
      this might be in the "notorious" *Four Loves.* Though I could be wrong, it
      may be elsewhere I read that. It might be in THS too, in one of Ransom's
      talks with Jane. ---djb

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic