1398Re: [mythsoc] on the trail of the Succarath

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Apr 1, 2000
      In a message dated 3/31/00 7:56:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
      ERATRIANO@... writes:

      > Is this a translation from the
      > Spanish site we've been tossing about

      Yes. http://www.argiropolis.com.ar/ameghino/obras/ameghino/neom.htm

      I am hoping to know where these other texts for the "mythical" Succarath are
      to be found, and what they say. The Jesuit priest in the 1700's thought he
      was writing about a =real= animal. The 1898 writer thinks he has linked that
      up with a surviving form of the "Mylodon" prehistoric animal, known to the
      Patagonian Indians as the "iemisch" (he says).

      However I know of no science in the subsequent hundred years which has
      confirmed any of this; though Patagonia is still a big and desolate and
      remote place. All right, the natives talked about the iemisch; the natives
      of Nepal talk about the yeti.

      The trouble with manatees is that they live exclusively in the water, not on
      land at all, and the trouble with marsupials is that the animal is described
      as carrying its young =on its tail= (which I find rather unlikely), not in a
      pouch.

      Mary S
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic