13669Re: [mythsoc] Favorite Fantasy Authors on Record/CD?

    Jan 30, 2005
      In a message dated 1/30/2005 10:02:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      MFSB@... writes:

      The best of Bo Hansson's albums, and one of the few progressive rock
      instrumental recordings that still holds up on repeated listening.
      J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy provide the inspiration for
      a series of strange, other-worldly tracks that transcend their source
      material. Hansson's keyboard playing is quite unlike the work of such
      rivals as Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman, less heavy and "gothic" and
      more oriented toward jazz. His guitar work as is flashy and aggressive
      as his keyboards ("The Black Riders/Flight to the Ford" is a great
      showcase for both), and the backing by sax, flute, and drums creates
      an overall rich sonic palette.

      I listened to this a couple of years ago. To me, while it may have been a
      good album, it felt nothing like the book. I posted to this mailing list at
      that time about my reactions to the album. Not many people seemed to have
      ever listened to it, and nobody seemed to agree with my reaction.