13656RE: [mythsoc] Tolkien on Film

  • Rateliff, John
    Jan 24, 2005
      In fact, Tolkien's theory of eucatastrophe is discussed on disk three (the first of the "Appendices") of the extended edition of RotK, I believe in the first of the documentaries. Jackson's rationale for why Frodo fights (and the different ways they staged it) are in the next documentary. Personally, I think he just wanted to insert the hanging-from-cliff cliche.
      Of considerably more interest is the deleted Aragorn-vs-Sauron scene cut from the Battle at the Black Gates: a direct steal from the climax of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Interesting idea, horribly unfaithful to the book, thankfully dropped.
      The extended edition of RotK is interesting in that it's the only one of the three that's weaker than the theatrical release. There are good bits and pieces, but they were wise to cut what they did.
      I do have my copy of the latest MythSoc Press book. Hadn't expected the tone to be so overwhelmingly negative, but still looking forward to reading it once I finish The Science of Middle-earth.
      Carl: thanks for the link to the Mattingly piece. I'd say he overstates the case, but that's fair enough given the venue.
      David: entirely possible that Shea's read the book, seen the film, and just disagrees.

      --JDR