13520Re: [mythsoc] Epigraph Author Known

  • Stolzi
    Dec 21, 2004
      "The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

      often quoted as motto of the US Army Corps of Engineers, in which my father
      served during WWII.

      Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."

      A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

      quote:

      ' The Corps of Engineers` oldest and most time honored insignia is the
      exclusive Essayons Button. It has not changed in basic design since its
      first definitely known use during the War of 1812. It is still the required
      button for the uniform worn by Army Engineers Officers. '

      As far as I know this is the =only= Army branch to have its own special
      buttons, with the motto and a stylized castle (a picture of which is at
      http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/hhc612th/castle.html). A small but life-size
      Engineers' castle stands, or used to stand, near the Reservoir in Washington
      DC.

      Sorry, but Christmas is a family time, and I just had to give a shout-out,
      even if a bit off topic, to my dear father.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic