13512RE: [mythsoc] Re: libraries

  • Croft, Janet B.
    Dec 20, 2004
      Katie Glick said:

      The article I read indicated that while some libraries are making their
      entire contents available, others are only releasing certain books. I
      have to think that there will be legal issues surrounding this, because
      copyright law is very specific about what may and may not be done with
      library copies of books. I don't remember it so well, but I seem to
      recall it being limited to patrons making copies (not of a substantial
      portion of the book) or copying a book that was irreplacable for
      archival purposes. But that confuses me because I have to imagine that
      Google is the type of company that would know the legal issues and
      address them before attempting this so ... <shrug>

      ***As I understand it, the in-copyright books will work that same way as
      Amazon's "search inside the book" -- you'll be able to get a brief
      passage with your search terms in context, not the whole book. It might
      be enough to help you decide if you need the whole book -- or it might
      not. (Libraries are hedged about with all sorts of laws and agreements
      about copyright -- it's rather boring if you're not a librarian (and
      sometimes even if you are), but it you're involved in education or
      research it can be rather important to you. At my shamelessy
      self-promoting site
      http://faculty-staff.ou.edu/C/Janet.B.Croft-1/legalsolutions.htm I have
      a list of links to useful copyright resources on the web, if you want to
      find out more.)

      Janet Croft
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic