13490Re: [mythsoc] libraries

  • Berni Phillips
    Dec 17, 2004
      From: "Croft, Janet B." <jbcroft@...>

      > Also, with the advent of the personal computer and the internet, we have
      > seen the library has become the place where people without home access,
      > or who are away from home, can reap the benefits of the information
      > explosion or just communicate with friends and family. The economic gap
      > between people who can afford access and equipment and people who can't
      > shows no signs of disappearing.

      This is what most concerns me about the emphasis on electronic media over
      paper-based: it places more of a burden on kids whose parents can't afford
      electronic access at home. Sure, kids can use the computers at the library
      if they don't have one at home, but they have to be able to get to an open
      library and find an available computer and do what they need to do in the
      amount of time allowed. The computers are so in demand at our libraries
      that kids couldn't do an afternoon of research on them. And libraries are
      cutting hours and closing entire additional days out here. Books you can
      check out and take home; computers you can't.

      > (Okay, to drag it back to topic: Libraries in science fiction:
      > realistic, utopian, or dystopian? Discuss.)

      Y'all should read McKillip's latest book, _Alphabet of Thorns_. Its main
      character is a librarian and it's McKillip's best book in years.

      Berni (coming out of lurk mode again)
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic