13326Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Freemasonry

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Dec 3, 2004
      As do I. I'm a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, the "ladies
      auxilliary" of the Masons. As was my aunt (a devout Baptist). We also
      have a Catholic woman in our Chapter. OES these days is a guttering
      candle, and mostly, we do charitable work.

      However, Masons don't discuss the intricacies of their organization, even
      with members of the OES.

      As for Tolkien's connection with Masonry: I don't think so. First of all,
      he was meeting with the Inklings at the Eagle and Child and in CSL's rooms.
      Being a Mason (esp. during the period in which he could have been enrolled)
      takes time. Since reading his letters, I'm struck with how little time he
      felt he had for writing; I think he'd have invested any spare time into
      writing, rather than going to more meetings. (Though Charles Williams was a
      member of the Order of the Golden Dawn. IIRC, he resigned from that group.
      I think.) The Paranoia article was interesting, but mostly for what you
      learn about Rosicrucians. ---djb