13287Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien and Freemasonry (and NATIONAL TREASURE)

    Dec 2, 2004
      At 08:46 AM 12/2/2004 -0600, Stolzi quoted:

      >"yes, Maryland's Charles Carroll, who died in 1832, was the last surviving
      >signer of the Declaration of Independence. But he was a Mason? Not likely,
      >since he was also the only Catholic signer (a factoid drilled into me in
      >parochial school). But the plot of the movie requires him to be a Mason."

      Which is pretty silly, as a number of the other Signers were in fact
      Masons. Just drop the "last surviving Signer" bit. I always thought the
      function of the last surviving member of some group was to drink a bottle
      of wine or something like that.

      >Actually I'd rather like to see the movie. It gives apparently the same
      >kind of thrills as DA VINCI CODE without the latter's ridiculous (and rather
      >offensive to Christians) take on Christ, and besides, I like Nicholas Cage.

      Or you could read the Da Vinci Code parody by Henry Beard (co-author, as
      the cover blurb says, of Bored of the Rings): The Dick Cheney Code.
      Probably a lot more enlightening than any of the others.

      As for liking Nicholas Cage, I liked him until he started making a lot of
      lousy movies. Case in point ...

      David Bratman
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic