      From: Joshua Ellis [mailto:josh@...]
      Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 12:54 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell author says...

      > She's thinking of the Witch King, the Lord of
      > the Nazgul. He's otherwise unnamed (except for
      > an occasional "Angmar" for the country he was
      > once king of), and "witch" is close enough of
      > a synonym to "magician". That's gotta be it.

      I found a text copy of the interview on indigo.ca
      and from that it is clear she is referring to The Mouth of Sauron.

      From the interview:

      The Raven King had an odd genesis. Ursula Le
      Guin has a magician in the Earthsea trilogy
      who has no name: the Grey Mage of Paln, whose
      magic was so dubious, his name was forgotten. And
      there’s a magician in The Lord of the Rings, right
      at the very end, who comes out of Mordor to do
      battle against our heroes, and no one knows his
      name because he himself has forgotten it.

      From The Return of the King:

      The rider was robed all in black, and black
      was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith
      but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower
      of Barad-Dûr he was, and his name is remembered
      in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it,
      and he said: "I am the Mouth of Sauron."

      josh@... -+- http://www.apostate.com/ -+- LJ:deteriorata
      | The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Modern life would be |
      | very tedious if it were either, and modern literature a complete |
      | impossibility! -- Oscar Wilde |
      Currently Reading "The Colour Out of Space" edited by D. Thin

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic