12814Williams Arthuriad

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Aug 12, 2004
      Wow, did it get quiet around here or is it just me? Warning: subjective
      post follows.

      Williams' novels are OK. I found the concepts unique but the execution
      mostly forgettable. The prose was often pretty bad, in my opinion, and I
      admit it's been maybe 20 years since I've read any of them.

      The poetry, on the other hand, was unique and well executed. Some of the
      images didn't really work for me (the whole Earth-body thing) but most of
      them did. It could be because I had recently read Malory when I first read
      the Arthuriad, and I felt that much of Williams' imagery was similar to the
      more intense Galahad moments in Malory. It's not, like, "pretty" poetry,
      but it's still very, very special work.

      I don't think I could have gotten through the poems without reading the
      Lewis' essays alongside, but I don't feel that is a bad thing. I think it
      was like being forced to do what perhaps one should often do with
      literature anyway, be informed while working.

      I have delayed this post partly because I have yet to dig out my
      Arthuriads, and I was hoping to throw in a quote, and also review one or
      two of the novels. But I haven't done that yet, and didn't want the topic
      to slide completely.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...