      From: Matthew Winslow mwinslow-sf@...
      Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 21:21:07 -0500
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Winners?

      WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
      > _Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth_ by John Garth
      > _The Myth of the American Superhero_ by John Lawrence and Robert Jewett
      > _Sunshine_ by Robin McKinley_
      > _The Hollow Kingdom_ by Claire B. Dunkle

      >>Thanks, Wendell. The Garth and the Lawrence/Jewett come as no suprise,
      but >>I must admit I'm a bit amazed at the McKinley. Not that it wasn't
      well >>written,but I didn't feel it was 'in the spirit of the Inklings' all
      that >>much. (And I haven't read the Dunkle, so I haven't any opinion about
      it.)

      I'm a bit surprised, too, though I'm glad McKillip didn't win with the book
      she wrote this year; I'd much rather see *Alphabet of Thorns* on next
      year's list (though competition's gonna be stiff). *Sunshine* didn't feel
      very "Inklings-like" to me, but then most of them didn't---except for
      *Paladin of Souls.* Wonder how close that came to picking up the Lion? I
      think lots of people went for "new author." Plus it was a good read.
      *Paladin* was kind of close to the last award Bujold got from us; she is,
      of course, fabulous. ---djb
      "No one who has once taken the language under his care can ever again be
      really happy."
      --Thomas Lounsbury
      Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://mail2web.com/ .
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic