12730Gaudeaumus! Let's Party !! in a manner of speaking

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Jul 30, 2004
      OK, everyone who isn't at MythCon, raise your hand! (hands?)

      We can really get silly now.

      I just found the newsletter "A Way With Words" -- from www.wordorigins.org

      Apparently it used to be free but is just switching over to a $6 annual
      subscription rate. There are two free copies available for downloads. I
      picked the one with "university" as the word of the day. It has pages of
      neat stuff, but I don't think I will subscribe just yet. My favorite
      quote, from the article about American dialects, is "And don't get me
      started on the Kennedys. Nobody else talks like that." As I have only
      heard JFK's voice for the first time recently, that was a statement I could

      I wanted to ask if anyone has the book of the month from this newsletter:

      Geoffrey Nunberg's _The Way We Talk Now_

      It sounded like a dialect-related forerunner or relative of _Eats, Shoots
      and Leaves_.

      Also there were some cute quotes from Ambrose Bierce's _The Devil's
      Dictionary_. For example:

      "Hippogriff, n. An animal (now extinct) which was half horse and half
      griffin. The griffin was itself a compound creature, half lion and half
      eagle. The hippogriff was actually, therefore, only one-quarter eagle,
      which is two dollars and fifty cents in gold. The study of zoology is full
      of surprises."

      Or, as the T-shirt puts it: Some people say I have ADD. They just don't
      understand. Look! A chicken!

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      amor vincit omnia