12709Daniel Keys Moran (WAS: Re: Laurel K. Hamilton)

  • karlstar2
    Jul 22, 2004
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, JTHeyman@j... wrote:
      > "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@e...> writes:
      > > Daniel Keyes Moran writes some neat sf. In one of his books,
      > > _The Last Dancer_, I believe, there is a very intense sex scene
      > > around the middle somewhere. It may be the only sex scene,
      > > certainly it is the only scene of its kind. It would have, IMO,
      > > ruined the book if that had been the flavor throughout.
      > I'm a fan of Moran's work and have most of his books. Actually, while I
      > agree that the book would've been ruined if it had all been like that
      > scene, that scene itself seemed to be out of place to me. Or, perhaps
      > more accurately, the explicitness of that scene seemed out of place. I
      > can see the emotional content of Denise's night with Lan, and I
      liked how
      > the consequences or that night played out later just before Lan
      > confronted Sedon, but could Moran have gotten the same impact
      without the
      > explicitness? I think so. Then again, his stories have been published
      > and I write fan fic, so maybe I'm wrong.
      > The question of explicit sex in F&SF, though, seems to be more a matter
      > of "how much" rather than "if" these days. Kim Stanley Robinson,
      > about his Mars novels at a convention some years back, said it
      > matter-of-factly: people colonize a new world, terraform it, set up
      > governments and, along the way, some of them have sex. These days,
      > unless you let someone else read and review books for you, ya pays yer
      > money and ya takes yer chances.
      > Or maybe that scene in _The Last Dancer_ was a result of pressure to
      > include such a scene because so many other books were beginning to
      > include them ... then again, maybe not. After all, his self-published
      > _Terminal Freedom_ (cowritten with his sister) had no such explicit
      > in it. Which raises an interesting question to which I don't have an
      > answer: how much influence do the corporate publishers have over the
      > content of various authors' books? Can they go to a mid-list (or
      even an
      > A-list) author and say, "It's good, but it needs more sex"? And, if so,
      > what does that mean for the mythopoeia of the author's world? Can the
      > publisher alter it to be more in line with whatever ideas they have
      > what the readers want? I don't know, but I do wonder sometimes.
      > ~ JTHeyman

      I think this position that sex has to be included because people do it
      is a bit exaggerated. Is it much different than the old 'adventurers
      never go to the bathroom argument'? If the characters involved are in
      a romance, then yes, it is probably necessary. If there's no romance,
      then it isn't.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic