12556Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien on Audio CD?

    Jul 11, 2004
      At 06:00 PM 7/10/2004 +0000, Leelan wrote:

      >Since it isn't possible or budgetwise to own ALL of Tolkien's works
      >on audio CD, which are the best to listen to and enjoy?

      >There was another in a green box that might have been the BBC
      >version that was just too bad for words. There seemed to be a roving
      >reporter telling the story and interviewing the cast. Bilbo came
      >across as very tongue-in-cheek. I don't recommend it.

      Ah, I see the glass isn't half-full when _you_ don't like the contents.

      >I have yet to try an audio of "The Lord of the Rings" or "The
      >Silmarillion". That second version makes me a bit apprehensive about
      >shelling out +$50 just to try.
      >
      >But I am willing. Do any of you have a recommendation for either
      >book on audio CD?

      Well, I will give you my opinion, for what it's worth.

      I pretty much share your evaluations of the audio _Hobbits_, so perhaps
      we're on a similar wavelength here.

      Despite the poor quality of the BBC _Hobbit_ dramatization, the BBC _Lord
      of the Rings_ dramatization is, I believe, excellent. Despite the
      limitations of the radio format, it does a better job of conveying
      Tolkien's atmosphere than Jackson does.

      Just make sure you get the right one, because it's sometimes hard to tell
      whether you're looking at a copy of the BBC dramatization, or an American
      one which is nowhere near as good. The BBC one was dramatized by Brian
      Sibley and Michael Bakewell, and stars Ian Holm (yes, same guy) as Frodo,
      and Michael Hordern as Gandalf. That's the one you want. And it lasts
      about 13 hours, so it should be just about right for your trip.

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic