12543Tolkien on Audio CD?

  • Leelan
    Jul 10, 2004
      Maybe this topic won't start a flame-war...

      Since it isn't possible or budgetwise to own ALL of Tolkien's works
      on audio CD, which are the best to listen to and enjoy?

      So far I have tried three different recordings of "The Hobbit".

      The Rob Inglis recording was pretty good except that a few of the
      dwarves should have stayed in the old dwarf's home, they sounded too
      frail for such a quest. It lasts around eight hours (I think.)

      There was another in a green box that might have been the BBC
      version that was just too bad for words. There seemed to be a roving
      reporter telling the story and interviewing the cast. Bilbo came
      across as very tongue-in-cheek. I don't recommend it.

      The third and best IMHO is an abridgement of "The Hobbit" read by
      Nicol Williamson:
      http://www.tolkiencollector.com/pages/record0060.html It is long out
      of print but I managed to snag the album on eBay. And a friend found
      a download of it on the Web and made a CD for me. All the dwarves
      have rich deep voices - barely distinguishable but that's OK by me.
      Gandalf's voice is powerful and mercurial - "Wizards are, afterall,
      wizards." Bilbo is consistant and likeable. The orcs, elves, Bard
      and the rest of the cast are well done as well. A very enjoyable
      four hours.

      I have yet to try an audio of "The Lord of the Rings" or "The
      Silmarillion". That second version makes me a bit apprehensive about
      shelling out +$50 just to try.

      But I am willing. Do any of you have a recommendation for either
      book on audio CD?

      I have a +9-hour drive next weekend and could use a good audio book.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic