12526Re: Just got the joke!

  • Leelan
    Jul 9, 2004
      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, <darancgrissom@s...> wrote:
      > I think that the movie was the principal example in the original post.

      Yes. You got it in one!

      I was thinking of the movie more than the book. Forgot about that
      pumpkin though. There is no parallel scene in the book. Might have
      "happened" one day but Tolkein never mentions it.

      As I say in another post, I like the book and the movie equally well.
      One seems to enhance the other.

      But as for the stay-at-homes, even the cleansing of the Shire does not
      stack up to what happens to you in Mordor or in the field of Pellinor.
      I doubt that they could ever comprehend what happened to Frodo, Sam,
      Merry or Pip. Tolkien says that they never understood what happened to
      Bilbo!

      -Leelan
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic