      From: Elizabeth Apgar Triano lizziewriter@...
      Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:55:10 -0400
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] more on the nature of Mythopoeia, sort of

      Very nice, JT, thank you.

      It does seem that athletes (like actor types) tend to, hmm, rise beyond
      their level of competence? There is like this grey area between doing what
      is right and sharing information... and getting too "political." Perhaps
      once anyone gets famous, it gets ten times harder to do their good work.
      The late Gayle Olinekova, who was an athlete, then wrote some books on
      fitness, became a chiropractor, then died of breast cancer, is my favorite
      fitness guru type. She was never famous enough to have every little foible
      magnified, but did well enough for her books to reach at least some other
      people. Perhaps it is the local heroes, the Scout leaders and youth group
      leaders, reading teachers and such, that we should consider. I bet they
      have been treated in books too. I'm just a decade behind in my reading.
      And I know this doesn't sound as mythopoeic as a dreaming forest, but I
      think that health really is our modern mythic setting, in a way.

      I think you are onto something with the survival part, and I think that has
      been treated in a few books that I've seen advertised, but I don't know how
      well. I don't know what has been done with cancer. Good post. Thanks.

      Keep it coming, gang, and nobody else is making us eat those french fries,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia