12245Re: [mythsoc] Re: Tolkien, Jonah, and Job

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Jun 11, 2004
      On Jun 11, 2004, at 4:45 PM, alexeik@... wrote:

      > The sound _z_ (common in Semitic) tends to be used
      > by Tolkien as a sign of alienness, being characteristic of Ad√Ľnaic,
      > Khuzdul and
      > the Black Speech

      Also in Tolkien's later concept of Valarin, also with, I feel the same
      intended effect of alienness, both to the Indo-European and the Eldarin
      ear.

      For what it's worth, I have yet to encounter any evidence, published or
      unpublished, that Tolkien had made any special study of Hebrew or any
      Semitic language, beyond that that any philologist and comparative
      linguist of his age would naturally encounter.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic