12221Re: Re: [mythsoc] Tolkien, Jonah, and Job

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Jun 4, 2004
      In a message dated 6/3/4 12:14:08 PM, Wayne Hammond wrote:

      <<I agree with Larry's argument about the level of Tolkien's knowledge of
      Hebrew, but can add that Tolkien wished to know more, and in April 1957 he
      wrote to his grandson Michael George (an unpublished letter) that he was
      immersing himself in the language so that, when he retired, he could
      participate in a Bible translation project, i.e. _The Jerusalem Bible_. But
      there is no evidence that he got very far with this study before other
      matters became too pressing.

      I think there's also the evidence of Ad√Ľnaic, which seems specifically
      designed to incorporate elements characteristic of Semitic languages. Of course,
      this doesn't mean that Tolkien "knew Hebrew", but it does suggest that he had
      delved into it deeply enough to be generally aware of the unique non-European
      features of its grammar (and naturally used it as inspiration for his own
      linguistic subcreation).
      Alexei
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic