12049Re: [mythsoc] Crossdressing heroines and other things that remain

  • Larry Swain
    May 4, 2004
      Well, there are Amazons in mythology, and there are also the "shield-maidens" of the Viking invasions. There is also the wonderful story of the Langobards.....The warriors of this tribe asked Frea who would win the battle they were to fight the next day. Frea told them to get their women dressed as warriors, and told the women to wear their long hair like it was a beard and to stand outside Odin's window. When Odin woke up in the morning, he asked "Who are these "long beards", or Langobards. Frea said that those whom Odin had named should be given victory in battle, and so they were.

      Lest we forget, there is also good ol' queen Boudicaea, think I spelled that wrong and Matilda, the Empress who though she never went to battle, did command her troops on occasion.

      Those are a few I can think off of the top of my head.

      Larry Swain

      > >So, yes, there is Jeanne d'Arc (who met a sad fate) and Mu Lan (whose story
      > I never knew) but I feel as if there were others
      >
      > Well, there are all those Shakesperian comedy heroines--Rosalind, and
      > whats-her-name in Twelfth Night and so on who disguise themselves as boys. The
      > androgynous image seems to fascinate us. I once saw an entire book--can't remember
      > the title--devoted to modern films in which a women plays a man (notably Linda
      > Hunt in _Year of Living Dangerously_), or pretends/disguises herself as a man
      > (_Victor/Victoria_), and though rarer, the other way around too (_Some Like it
      > Hot_). In fact such films are so common they currently have a
      > name--'gender-bender.' If you mean strictly warrior women, there's not a few of those, too,
      > especially in the sword-and-sorcery sub-genre.
      >
      > There's an interesting sidelight in _Descent into Hell_ where Peter Stanhope
      > suggests that the director of his play "do as Shakespeare did and dress your
      > female chorus in exquiste male costume, creating something more wonderful than
      > either."
      >
      > Anne

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.