12035Re: [mythsoc] Pt 1 Frodo’s task in Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings

    May 1, 2004
      Indeed.

      And what's with the weird Alan Paton reference? Frodo's agony over the
      Shire has nothing in common with the agony over South Africa depicted in
      Paton's novel "Cry, the Beloved Country."

      - David Bratman

      At 07:35 PM 5/1/2004 -0400, Carl F. Hostetter wrote:

      >On May 1, 2004, at 12:52 PM, Walt Sheasby wrote:
      >
      >> The original scene is much less heart-rending because Frodo's cry of
      >> deprivation is not explicitly related to the beloved country.
      >
      >Whereas _I_ find the scene as Tolkien wrote it to be far _more_
      >effective and moving, because it shows Frodo's _utter_ isolation, not
      >just from his home -- everyone, after all, can become homesick -- but
      >from the natural world entirely.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic