1176Re: New Beowulf

    Mar 3, 2000
      dbratman@... writes:

      > Man, I'm getting it from both sides this week, aren't I?

      I'm sorry if that came out sounding nasty. I didn't mean it as an attack on
      you. An attack on Tolkien, possibly, but not on you.

      I was referring to Tolkien's German ancestors, who were 1/64 of his ancestry
      (or was it 1/32 or 1/128?). There are Americans who make a big deal of what
      country their ancestors immigrated from, even if they immigrated over 200
      years ago. There's something a bit odd about an Englishman making a big deal
      about his ethnic identity. It's not as odd as an American making a big deal
      about his ethnic identity, but it's odd nevertheless.

      Maybe my testiness about this comes from having a two-year argument in the
      letters column of _Amon Hen_ (the Tolkien Society quarterly newsletter) about
      the "Englishness" of _The Lord of the Rings_. There are some T. S. members
      who think that the appearance of any American voices in a movie version of
      the book would be utter heresy.