11720RE: [mythsoc] Joseph Pearce

  • Jay Hershberger
    Mar 11, 2004
      Pearce's view of the HoME as "secondary" means--as I understood him--that it
      should not be regarded as on the same level as Tolkien's published works,
      including the works of minor fiction and essays. Pearce regards the
      published Silmarillion as being included in the "primary" canon with H and
      LOTR. We never finished our conversations about this, especially regarding
      how CT's edition of the Silmarillion is somehow different in "weight" than
      the HoME.

      My observation (not Pearce's) is that, even with the publication of HoME
      (and I am slowly collecting them all!), until all of the manuscripts and
      papers are made available independently of CT, including the redundancies he
      chose to leave out of HoME, we must rely on CT's judgements. Not that CT's
      judgement is somehow suspicious or unreliable, but that his familial
      connection to his father, the family, and the estate, etc., does factor into
      his work. Certainly no one else COULD have brought about the posthumous
      publication of the Silmarillion as it now stands, for certainly no one had
      the kind of intimate knowledge of the manuscripts that CT has, and for all
      of this we should be grateful to him for his tireless commitment to
      publishing these papers.

      But even CT's scholarship, editing, commentary, etc., will be, at some point
      in the future, up for critical review (perhaps already has in some
      quarters). I can just imagine the tomes and dissertations on CT as editor
      of the Silmarillion. Perhaps after all is revealed and examined ad nauseum,
      the judgement will be that CT did a terrific service to his father's
      literary legagy, and that his edition of the Silmarillion cannot be in
      anyway improved. I seem to recall CT once stating that he might do things a
      bit different now.

      Cheers,

      Jay Hershberger
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic