1171On the trail of hobbits?

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Mar 2, 2000
      Today I received the following amazing communication in an e-mail newsletter:

      > As a result of public health, today the
      > average American is a full meter taller than European ancestors were
      > in 1400.

      To which I replied:

      >What in G-d's name are they talking about?? The =average= American won't
      >reach 6 feet, I am sure. A meter is, if I recall, 3 feet 4 in. Thus, our
      European
      >ancestors were an amazing bunch of hobbits running around measuring
      somewhere
      >in the 2 feet, 2 feet 6 in, 3 feet range?

      I can just imagine the 2-foot-long suits of armor and the 2 1/2-foot-tall
      horses they were using in those days of chivalry... there must be some in
      museums, the armor, I mean, not the horses.

      Mary S
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic