11696Re: [mythsoc] Joseph Pearce

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Mar 10 1:24 PM
      On Mar 10, 2004, at 3:41 PM, Jay Hershberger wrote:

      > Pearce: Yes, I see your point. The Silmarillion was published
      > posthumously
      > under CT's direction. Yet it seems that a good bit of the
      > Silmarillion had
      > already taken shape or was completed by JRRT, so that CT simply tried
      > as
      > best he could to publish the substance of the Silmarillion in a way
      > which
      > would reflect his father's intent. The HoME is more an attempt to
      > provide
      > readers with earlier versions of materials related to Tolkien's
      > sub-creation
      > that Tolkien never intended for publication. What would be great is
      > for
      > scholars to have access to all of these manuscripts and papers.

      If reported accurately (and I would be the last to fault anyone for not
      having remembering every phoneme uttered in a dinner line!), then I
      must say that this is a rather astonishing misstatement of the nature
      of _The History of Middle-earth_, one purpose of which was _precisely_
      to present the material that Christopher Tolkien had to select from in
      achieving a publishable _Silmarillion_, parts of which existed _only_
      in " earlier versions of materials related to Tolkien's sub-creation
      that Tolkien never intended for publication". So thanks to Christopher
      Tolkien's monumental labors, we _do_ have "access to all of these
      manuscripts and papers", in ordered and edited form. Which is a pretty
      astonishing thing to have, when you think about it.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic