1165Antlered Figure Herne/Cernunnos

  • ERATRIANO@aol.com
    Mar 1, 2000
      In a message dated 03/01/2000 5:46:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      << > And some antlered lord tales. Why is this figure so elusive?

      Huh? >>
      gggg ah, a remark I can relate to, for a change. The figure known as Herne
      or Cernunnos. Now, was that a "Who?" huh or a "What, there's lots of
      literature on him, what do you mean?" huh?

      Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series is about the only fictional
      reference I have found (which doesn't say a lot), and there he is known as
      Herne, Master of the Wild Hunt.

      In nonfiction he is a little easier to find, appearing as Cernunnos, such as
      the figure on the Gundestrop Cauldron, the petroglyphs in the cave (cavern?)
      of Les Trois Freres in France and Val Camonica in Italy.

      It's like, he's out there but elusive, say the way Taliessin was maybe 20
      years ago. There is a little voice in my head that says I have seen
      references to Herne elsewhere in English literature (modern or old I don't
      know, but English as opposed to American, and probably not French).
      Cernunnos seems more widespread, an older Celtic figure, and Herne more his
      English counterpart. But it is all lost in the shreds of my reading from
      years ago, and just hunches.

      There is also a bit of artwork about him in the New Age/Wiccan circles, as
      well as some books which include him under references to Wiccan gods. But
      that's not really what I'm looking for. Too modern. Don't trust them. I
      can make that stuff up myself, although I must admit a soft spot for some of
      it. ggg

      And I know I'm not of the same academic fluency as many of you, so please
      don't poke me in the eye with a stick. I'm just looking to get back on the
      learning track. Thanks.

      Lizzie
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic