11423Re: Green Man review links to us

  • Elizabeth R. Milner
    Feb 1, 2004
      Jack:
      You'll find the description you seek in the very last paragraph of
      our fine and noble Mythcon 35 Press Release:

      THE MYTHOPOEIC SOCIETY
      MYTHCON XXXIV

      For Immediate Release
      February 1, 2004
      Media Contacts:
       Marion VanLoo, Chair, Mythcon XXXV
      (517) 764-0897 / (517) 796-8623
      E-mail: mvanloo@...
       Liz Milner
      E-mail: lizmilner@...

      Hugo Award winning Writer, Neil Gaiman, Featured at Mythcon XXXV

      Neil Gaiman, the author of "Coraline," "Stardust," and "The Sandman"
      comics series, will be the Author Guest of Honor at Mythcon 35, which
      will be held from July 30-August 2 at the Michigan League at the
      University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.

      Gaiman is a bestselling author who writes comic books, fantasy,
      children's books, songs, and screenplays, and is known world-wide for
      his adult comic series "the Sandman," his novels "Stardust" (winner
      of the 1999 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult
      Literature), "Neverwhere" (finalist for the 1998 MFA for adult
      literature), "American Gods" (finalist for the 2002 MFA for adult
      literature), and his children's book "Coraline" (finalist for 2003
      MFA for Children's Literature). Visit his website at
      www.neilgaiman.com for more information about his many projects.

      Mythcon is an annual four-day conference that focuses on the works of
      the "Inklings" (J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams)
      and/or fantasy and mythic literature. Mythcons are attended by
      scholars, writers and readers of fantasy literature.. The theme of
      this year's conference is "Bridges to Other Worlds: 35 Years of
      Mythopoeic Scholarship." In addition to Neil Gaiman, Scholar Guest
      of Honor Charles Huttar will be on hand to trace the history of
      invented myths. Dr. Huttar won the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in
      Inklings Studies twice, for "Word and Story in C.S. Lewis," and
      for "The Rhetoric of Vision: Essays on Charles Williams."
      Activities include papers, panel discussions, readings,
      entertainment, an art show and dealers' room, a banquet, awards
      presentations, Bardic Circles, food sculpture and Golfimbul.

      Mythcon Organizers promise that this year's conference will
      present "our usual Mythcon mix of good scholarship, good fellowship,
      and fun."

      To register for Mythcon or to obtain information on Conference
      accommodations, please visit the Mythopoeic Society Web Site,
      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon35.html, or e-mail Marion P. VanLoo,
      Mythcon Chair at mvanloo@... .
      ###
      The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
      organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of
      fantasy and mythic literature, especially the works of J.R.R.
      Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams. For further information on
      the Mythopoeic Society, please visit the Web Site,
      http://www.mythsoc.org

      -Liz (still the prettiest)

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Jack <jack@g...> wrote:
      > >On the Greenman site, "What's New Section,
      > >http://www.greenmanreview.com/whats_new.html " the following text
      > >contains a link to our website:
      > >
      > >Given our liking of all things Tolkien, it shouldn't surprise you
      > >that we've reviewed more books on Tolkien and his work than anyone
      > >else short of the Mythopoeic Society! And it's worth noting some
      of
      > >the Tolkien-themed books that we've received recently for review:
      > >Matthew Dickerson's Following Gandalf, Wayne Hammond and Christina
      > >Schull's J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist & Illlustrator, Brian Sibley and
      John
      > >Howe's The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth, and Paul Simpson's The
      > >Rough Guide to The Lord of the Rings are but a taste of what's
      come
      > >into the mailroom as of late."
      > >
      > >I suspect thanks to Jack are in order.
      >
      > Prolly. Now what I really need is a paragraph long description of
      the Mythopoeic Society to add to our
      > Resources page.
      >
      > Now reading -- James Stoddard's The High House
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic