1112WOOD TALKS FRODO AND RINGS

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Feb 1, 2000
      WOOD TALKS FRODO AND RINGS

      Elijah Wood, the 19-year-old actor who plays
      hero Frodo Baggins in Peter Jackson's film
      trilogy The Lord of the Rings, is enthusiastic
      about taking on the marathon role. He's
      attracted by "the sheer length of the project,
      the fact that I've got three films to develop a
      character, to hold that character and have him
      change and grow," Wood told E! Online.

      "Normally, you've got a couple of months to
      shoot a movie and develop the character, and
      it's not normally done in sequence," he said
      from the film's New Zealand location. "Here,
      we've got three films, being filmed mostly in
      sequence, so I get to experience the
      character's changes and live with the character
      over a long period of time, which I really enjoy."

      Speaking for the first time about his role in the
      epic films based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novels of
      the same name, Wood said he loves the
      character he plays, a young Hobbit who must
      save the world. "I think he has a sense of
      strength, that he's able to take on this quest
      and take it to the end, which is very interesting
      to me. And what happens to him on the way
      interests me as an actor--you know, the fact
      the Ring starts to take hold and he starts to go
      mad and loses himself. It's an incredible arc, to
      watch that happen over time."

      Not that it's easy, he said. "Every morning, I
      start with about two and a half hours of
      makeup, which means some very early
      mornings. We're usually picked up around 5 a.m.
      I come to the set, and I get into my feet,
      which takes about an hour. ... Then I put on
      my wig--it's the first time I've worn a wig in a
      film, so that's exciting--and the [prosthetic]
      ears, which fit on very well, so it's cool. You
      feel like a Hobbit."

      *Joan Marie Verba verba001@...*
      *Mythopoeic Press Secretary, Mythopoeic Society *
      *List Administrator for DocEx, Mythsoc, MNSCBWI *
      * and MNSCREENW lists *
      *http://www.sff.net/people/Joan.Marie.Verba *