10910Re: Faithfulness to Tolkien (was Re: [mythsoc] Re: My own RotK review)

  • Carl F. Hostetter
    Jan 2, 2004
      On Jan 2, 2004, at 10:13 PM, David Bratman wrote:

      > An author is free to be vague or incomplete in physical descriptions
      > of persons, places, and things; a film-maker doesn't have that option.

      A film-maker would have just as much of an option to "fill in the
      blanks" as a reader does, in places where Tolkien provides no
      description in the book. So again, I fail to see how one could possibly
      need information not in the book in order to be faithful to the book.

      > It was his script that sucked.

      Boy howdy.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic