10896Re: [mythsoc] Outstanding article

  • SusanPal@aol.com
    Jan 2, 2004
      I disagree with the writer's statement that Jackson uses Merry and Pippin, in
      this third film, "almost exclusively for comic relief." I find the scene in
      which Pippin swears fealty to Denethor, although Denethor proceeds to mock him
      and Gandalf acts impatient, to be quite moving: J-Pippin is asserting his
      own dignity, the fact that he has gifts to offer, even though other people
      discount him. Nor does the conversation between Gandalf and Pippin about death
      come across as "comic relief" (although it does distort Tolkien's words). And
      although it's true that Eomer mocks Merry's prowess in battle, Eowyn hotly
      defends him, and since we're meant to side with her, clearly we're meant to side
      with him, too.

      I thought the film actually did quite a nice job of capturing the hobbits'
      sense (which is described in the book) of being very small actors on a very
      large stage. I suspect that by the time the film got to this point, the Boston
      Globe writer was too influenced by other disappointments to perceive the
      non-comic emotional overtones of the Merry and Pippin scenes.

      I remain far more troubled by the use of Gimli as persistent comic relief.

      Susan