10870Re: [mythsoc] Re: blings

    Dec 30, 2003
      At 08:00 PM 12/30/2003 +0000, Elizabeth R. Milner wrote:
      >Wagner isn't the only one Howard Shore listened to -- I hear great
      >gobs of Orf's Carmina Burana.

      I don't, not specifically. Shore writes with a generic Hollywood
      symphonic musical vocabulary, and that vocabulary does owe much of its
      existence to Orff, along with Stravinsky and Richard Strauss. In much the
      same way that any fat epic fantasy novel is likely to be seen as a Tolclone,
      dramatic choral music in a symphonic soundtrack is likely to be an Orff-clone.

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic