10665Mythopoeic Awards

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Dec 13, 2003
      I haven't seen any calls about the Mythopoeic Awards yet (and I think I've
      opened all these e-mailings), but I thought I'd report the Brian Bates'
      _The Real Middle Earth: Exploring the Magic and Mystery of the Middle Ages,
      J. R. R. Tolkien, and "The Lord of the Rings"_ (New York: Palgrave
      Macmillan, 2003) is _not_ a contender for the Scholarship Award. He's
      interested in the imaginative aspects of pagan Europe (both Germanic and
      Celtic--though mainly Germanic); usually just one or two paragraphs appear
      per chapter on how Tolkien used whatever aspect is being discussed at the
      time. In other words, very light on Tolkien; the main interest is
      elsewhere. I suspect Tolkien was brought in to sell the book.

      --Joe
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic