10597Re: Some questions for a Thesis

  • Elizabeth R. Milner
    Dec 9, 2003
      Sorry if people have been a bit snappish toward you on the list serve.
      Since Tolkien didn't like simplistic allegorical interpretations of
      his writings, it's not surprising that your attempt to discover
      allegory in LOTR has raised some hackles. It also would have been
      good if you'd provided an off-line email address. This eats up a lot
      of message space and people will get tired of seeing the same
      questionnaire over and over again.

      Where are you studying? Will we get to see your results? You really
      should come to Mythcon and do in-depth interviews.

      Here are my answers to your questions.

      1. Have you read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and/or The
      Silmarillion?

      LOTR: Innumerable times since the pirate (ACE) edition came out
      (I was 8 or 9 at the time). I read an ACE and a Ballentine paperback
      to shreds.
      The Hobbit: 2 or 3 times
      Silmarillion: twice
      History of Middle Earth: once, some volumes more than once.

      2. Have you seen the movies?

      I've seen Peter Jackson's FOTR and TT

      Did you think they were an accurate representation of the books?

      FOTR-yes, most of the changes seemed valid to me from a script
      writing point of view. (It gives me the shivers to think of how they
      would have handled Tom Bombadil--Robin Williams, no doubt, in a
      performance so sticky sweet it would rot the teeth right out of your
      head!)
      TT-felt writers had made huge departure from the book and had dumbed
      it down. Also, I loved the book because the Hobbits learn to take
      control of their destinies and don't depend on generals with great
      abs and big swords to save them. In the movie it's just the opposite.
      3. Which is your favorite and why?
      Of the Peter Jackson Movies, The Fellowship. Of the Books, The Two
      Towers because it doesn't have the tedious first chapters of the
      Fellowship,because it's the middle, so I don't have to worry about
      finishing too soon, because I enjoyed Pippin's outsmarting the orcs
      and bonding with Treebeard, and especially because of the "Dead
      Marshes" scene. My father was a military historian and our house was
      full of battle photos.
      When I read the Dead Marshes chapter, my hair stood on end. This was
      not only because the description of the marshes by moonlight was so
      eerie and beautifully written, but because I felt I recognized the
      place Tolkien was describing without being able to remember why it
      all seemed so familiar.

      4. Do you see any specific allegories that Tolkien may have written
      into his writing?

      Tolkien was a fairly subtle writer who didn't drive his lessons
      home with a hammer, so attempts to relate specific scenes to specific
      allegories will, I think, prove unprofitable.

      There are allegorical elements, certainly. In the Two Towers there are
      several instances where one of the sundered fellowship will look
      up at the moon or observe a change in the weather and then
      despairingly wonder about another member of the sundered fellowship
      who, at that very moment and only a few miles a way is also observing
      the same change in the moon or the weather and thinking despairingly
      of the probable fate of his absent friend. And both will despair,
      not knowing the change they've just observed heralds one of
      Tolkien's "eucatastrophes." While the characters only see ruin, the
      reader is given a gods-eye view and --yes!--The cavalry is just
      around the corner!

      5) This, I suppose is an allegory for the role divine providence
      plays in human affairs. It also makes for a cracking good yarn!

      6. Do you have a religious or spiritual orientation?
      Jew raised in a Catholic neighborhood.

      7. Are there any particular parts of any of those books that hold
      significant meaning for you? If so, why?

      Tolkien depicts the ennoblement of the hobbits. For me, the story of
      a person learning to be "more than the sum of his parts" is very
      moving. Frodo has to discover his integrity and find the courage to
      pursue a heartbreaking and impossible quest without the usual
      trappings of the romance hero -- he is as small and helpless and
      insignificant as you can get. Also, Frodo is an overeducated nerd
      who proves himself worthy outside of academe by saving the world.
      Now that's a fantasy that resonates with me!

      8. What background information, if any at all, do you see
      Tolkien drawing from, and if so, what specifically do you see?

      My God! What didn't he draw from! Philology, Folklore, Myth,
      Catholicism,Paganism, you name it! Like all good writers he was a
      sponge and absorbed everything. Tom Shippey and Verlyn Flieger are
      good sources for his influences.

      9. What do you think Tolkien `meant' in his writing?

      What does any good writer "mean." Your never going to get Tolkien
      down to one message. For that you should call Western Union!
      (Neanderthal movie joke). Tolkien was creating a world, a universe,
      that one can inhabit, not a freaking telegram!

      Tolkien's writing was often a play of ideas, a thought experiment.
      He couldn't live forever, but through the elves he got a taste
      of what it might be like. In part Tolkien was creating an alternate
      world where he could test what our world really means.

      10. What similarities and differences do you see between the
      writings of J.K. Rowling and J.R.R. Tolkien? Specifically in
      reference to themes such as good and evil, the use of magic, and
      things of that nature.

      I'm going to be no help to you on this one. Rowling's writing bores
      me to tears. It has no depth, no texture, it's about cardboard
      cutouts.

      Hope this is some help and I hope to see you at Mythcon. If
      possible, can you summarize what your paper's about?

      --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel B. Karpouzian" <daniel@k...>
      wrote:
      > I am just finishing up a thesis on Tolkien, involving different
      allegory
      > and different meanings that people see and draw from J.R.R.
      Tolkien's
      > writing, and I would VERY MUCH APPRECIATE answers to the following
      few
      > questions. And also, a quick answer would also be appreciated! :-)
      > 1. Have you read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and/or The
      > Silmarillion?
      > If so, which, and how many times?
      > 2. Have you seen the movies?
      > Did you think they were an accurate representation of the
      > books?
      > 3. Which is your favorite and why?
      > 4. Do you see any specific allegories that Tolkien may have written
      > into his writing?
      > 5. Do you see any meaning Tolkien was attempting to portray?
      > 6. Do you have a religious or spiritual orientation? (ie. Atheist,
      > Agnostic, Catholic, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Wiccan, Satanist,
      etc.)
      > 7. Are there any particular parts of any of those books that hold
      > significant meaning for you? If so, why?
      > 8. What background information, if any at all, do you see Tolkien
      > drawing from, and if so, what specifically do you see? (ie. Anglo-
      Saxon